Wowza, wowza, wowza...we are crazy!! What we did yesterday was the most scary but amazing thing we have ever done in our lives. We drove about 1.5 hours to Urubamba and stopped on the side of the road by a trailer next to a large, straight up face of a rock mountain. After gearing up and getting our instructions, we headed over to the big rock mountain and Linda began the climb, first on a wobbly ladder then on to the reebar steps coming out of it. Carolyn went next, hesitantly and kinda hoped I would back out so she could come down. Almost last, I stood there willing myself to do it...just not sure...because once you start, you cannot come back down backwards. You had to be committed. I decided to bite the bullet and surprised Carolyn by starting up the ladder. We had the most amazing guides, Jorge stayed back with us the whole time. We scaled a 400m vertical climb on these reebar steps and attached to a cable that you had to switch every so often to the next cable. It was the most incredible feeling and we did not have fear or anxiety...just had to have the will to keep going.
At one point, there was a 30 feet free fall bridge you had to work your way ac ross sideways holding on only to a cord above your head...attached by your cables of course. I thought I my knees would shake or I would throw up or something watching Linda, then Carolyn go across. But watching them and having them cheering me on made the trip across pretty easy and doable. It is amazing what you can do when there is no other alternative! We continued UP the mountain for another hour or two, constantly looking for the reebar step ahead and then watching your footing below up and up and up. Did we mention it was a VERTICAL climb? Finally we reached the first zipline which meant we were done climbing up. Halellujah! The first of 5 ziplines was a blast and we were so high up and the scenery was incredible. The second one was the longest and we had to go tandem. I went with my now boyfriend Jorge and it was again an amazing feeling to fly through the air so high up over the river and beautiful vistas. We climbed down a ways for the third one which was just as fun, then the 4th one was the fastest...so much so that they had installed a brake system to help you slow down at the end. Incredible is all I can say. The last one was a surprise....you see, you had to start off REPELLING down a rock, then when there was nothing under foot, they let you slide down the rest until you hit the ground next to the trailer. Our van driver was there to unhook us from the zipline and congratulate us.
We are a little sore today on the tops of our thighs but other than that, we are just amazed at what we did. I do not know anyone who has done anything like that before. And for 3 larger old ladies, I think it was a fantastic feat ...maybe once in a lifetime...probably! We feel very accomplished and grateful for our safe return .
Later, on the way back to Cuzco, we stopped at this incredible salt mine hidden away in a canyon. The pictures do not do it justice. We got back after dark and were exhausted. Here are just a few pictures.
 |
| Carolyn on the free fall bridge ... check out how high up now |
 |
| Proof all three of us are actually doing it |
 |
This is the start...check out the VERTICAL climb and the steps
|
 |
Linda leading the way
|
I'm teaching your mother how to comment.
ReplyDeleteHoly CRAP!!! That free fall bridge looks so scary. I am so jealous of the experience you guys are having. I love that you are posting everything. I can't wait to hear about your next experience.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing experience that would be! I am jealous...
ReplyDeleteThe Canadian Boys!
that's freakin' me out!!
ReplyDelete